Those wooden pallets stacked up behind your grocery store can have other uses than just stacking packages. Those wood pallets can be broken down and made into other things, which can be used in your home to update your decor. You can make several things from a wooden pallet. See below for a few simple decor ideas.
Painted Welcome Sign
This is a very simple project that anyone can do. Here's what you'll need:
- Wood pallet
- Paint (in the color of your choice)
- Stencil letters (found at most hobby stores)
- Paint brush
- Take your wood pallet and take apart the wooden slats. You'll only need one of the wooden slats.
- Brush off any visible dirt using a broom or a wire brush.
- Use a stencil, your paint in the color of your choice and a paint brush to paint "welcome" vertically on your wooden slat.
- Once the paint is dry, you can hang it outside next to your door, or inside your home.
You can also take your pallet apart, then push the slats together. Staple the four or five slats together, then paint a pattern onto them in the color of your choice. Attach a wooden letter on the bottom corner to create a monogram sign that you can hang in your home.
This is another fairly simple project that can be used in any room of your home. Here's what you'll need:
- One long 2 x 4 (to cut up for shelves)
- Drywall screws and anchors
- Stain (in your color of choice)
- First, you'll need to sand down the pallet to get rid of rough spots. Also, be sure all nails on the pallet are pounded in.
- Take your pallet and turn it over, so that the slats are on the bottom. This is the side that will be anchored to the wall.
- You'll need to add pieces of wood to create shelves in the middle and bottom of the pallet, which can be held with screws. Cut the 2 x 4 pieces to size, which will depend on the size of your pallet.
- Next, stain your pallet in the stain color of your choice.
- After the stain is dry, you can hang it up on your wall. Be sure to use the anchors in your wall, as the pallet is going to be heavy.
- Add knobs of differing sizes and shapes to the bottom of your pallet shelf to give it a little more life. Place your books, nick-knacks or photos in your new shelf.
These pallet projects are simple to do, and the best part is that they won't cost you a lot of money to make. Create them for your own home, or give them to someone as a gift.
You can buy pallets from a supplier such as Colorado Industrial Wood Products. You can even ask if they have some that are defective or not up to code, as these can be used for projects but not for shipping.Share